- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 36 green prawns, peeled (tails intact), deveined
- Canola oil, to deep-fry
- 1 ripe mango, flesh finely chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 cup (300g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 small red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
For mango mayonnaise, place mango, lime juice and zest, mayonnaise and half the chilli in a food processor and whiz until smooth. Place in a serving dish and refrigerate until needed.
Mix flour and sugar in a bowl and season. In another bowl, beat coconut cream and egg with a fork. In a third, mix crumbs and coconut. Dip prawns first in the flour, then the egg, then the coconut crumbs. Chill until needed.
Half-fill a deep-fryer or large heavy-based saucepan with oil and heat to 190°C (or test a cube of bread – it will turn golden in 30 seconds when oil is ready). Fry prawns, in batches, for 1-2 minutes until golden, turning if necessary. Drain on paper towel. Serve with mayonnaise, topped with remaining chilli.